See photos (7)

Le Fort Risban

Not rated ,  Historic site and monument ,  Fortified structure in Calais

  • Originally there was a large sandbank there. When the English arrived in 1347, following the episode of the Bourgeois de Calais, they built a tower (Lancaster tower) whose role was to control access to the port. From the end of the 16th century, profound modifications were made to it, while maintaining its role as a watchtower over the port in uncertain times. A small garrison and a terrace lined with cannons were in place.

    After an explosion in 1800 caused extensive damage, further major...
    Originally there was a large sandbank there. When the English arrived in 1347, following the episode of the Bourgeois de Calais, they built a tower (Lancaster tower) whose role was to control access to the port. From the end of the 16th century, profound modifications were made to it, while maintaining its role as a watchtower over the port in uncertain times. A small garrison and a terrace lined with cannons were in place.

    After an explosion in 1800 caused extensive damage, further major works were undertaken in the first half of the 19th century. The fort was then renovated and enlarged. Decommissioned by the military in 1921, it became the property of the town of Calais in 1938. Although it cannot be visited, it is still an original place for a walk. The small hill above it offers a pleasant view of the port and the Dragon de Calais, its close neighbour. Along the fort you can take the Risban perré, a pleasant path along the entrance to the port to reach the beach.